Posted by Isabelle Salter on
Life has become all about enjoying making things from scratch. Whether that’s making your own jewellery, or baking your own bread - we’re getting creative like never before.
Some things need time perfecting… such as sourdough, but something which is super quick and easy to do, is making pizzas from scratch!
We’re not talking about loading up a cardboard-like pizza base bought from the supermarket, we mean making some delicious dough, and then adding some tasty toppings.
We have a brilliant recipe for traditional Italian dough, to create some authentic thin-crust pizzas - simple and delicious.
650g strong white flour,
7g dried easy-blend yeast
2 tsp salt
25ml/1fl oz olive oil
50ml/2fl oz warm milk
325ml/11fl oz warm water
- Mix together the flour, yeast and salt in a large bowl.
- Stir in the olive oil and milk.
- Gradually add the water, mixing well to form a soft dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead for about 5 minutes, until smooth and elastic.
- Transfer to a clean bowl, cover with a damp tea towel and leave to rise for about 1½ hours, until doubled in size.
- When the dough has risen, knock it back, then knead again until smooth, roll into a ball and set aside for 30 minutes to 1 hour until risen again.
- Divide the dough into six balls.
- At this point, if you want to freeze any dough to use later on you can do - just wrap in cling film.
- If you want to eat pizza right away, roll each dough ball out on a lightly floured work surface (we actually prefer using semolina) as thin as you like. This dough is super stretchy, so it will go really thin.
- Once you’ve added your favourite toppings, bake the pizzas in the oven for about 8 minutes on the highest setting.
Once you’ve made your pizza dough, you’ll need a pizza oven. They’re the perfect addition to your outdoor kitchen area and make a nice alternative to a barbecue. We have a brilliant table-top pizza oven (£199) which heats up on wooden pellets, so no need to lug about gas cylinders. It’s fantastic even if you have a small garden, or balcony area, as it’s really portable - unlike many other pizza ovens.
Pizza ovens are hotter than normal ovens which means your savoury snacks can be ready in a matter of minutes - much better than having to wait 45 minutes for a delivery! (And much cheaper too!)
Don’t forget to take pictures of your perfect pizzas made in our wood-fired pizza oven, and tag us @briqfurniture.